Wednesday, June 18, 2008

indexing

have you all heard of indexing?
i know my byu friends have, because our ward was way into this. well let me explain.

you go online to www.familysearchindexing.com and register. basically you download this little program and then from there you can begin. the jist of the thing is that you will pull up a digital image from a census from a few hundred years ago. they are handwritten of course and then your job is to transfer the handwritten information about each person (usually name, age, race, birthplace) and type it all so that in the future they will be on a database in a format that people can search in. the point of it all is to help people with family history. when you transfer this information people who are doing family work can then use the information to search for names they were missing. it is really great and i don't know if i explained it well but it really is a great idea.

my ward at byu really encouraged people to index, and i had only done a few batches (like 30 names each, usually takes like 30 min or so) and today i was super bored so i did one. its just something pretty easy to do, that is meaningful and something you can do to serve right at home on your own computer.

ps. its really fun to do this when you do it in a group. we did it for fhe sometimes which was fun because you are with your friends, and sometimes the writing that you are trying to interpret is really hard to read so you can have fun trying to figure it out together. or maybe it was just because we were crazy. thats always a possibility.

2 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

I read about this in the Ensign about a year ago or so. It looked interesting, but I was in grad school so I didn't have time. I imagine it could be pretty addicting (for me at least, I love to type) but obviously it is very helpful!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That's awesome. I planned a stake service project where we wanted to serve in a way that met the three fold mission of the church. The indexing is what we did to meet the "redeem the dead" part of the mission, and we indexed a whole stake in three hours! It was great, we got wi-fi at the building for the day and had like 100 women rotate through so they were all trained and knew what to do when they went back home. I was running around in charge of another portion of the project so I still have never tried it. I will!